Full Film: video.google.ca Channel Five UK: www.five.tv extraordinary people | five.tv As a baby, Daniel Tammet cried constantly and banged his head against the wall. His parents were frantic but all doctors could suggest was that he was understimulated. One afternoon when he was four, an accident changed the way Daniel thought forever. While playing with his brother in the living room he suffered a series of epileptic seizures which transformed his brain chemistry, giving him the gift of synaesthesia. This condition occurs when the parts of the brain responsible for different areas of perception get mixed up. Brain scans of autistic savants suggest that the right hemisphere might be compensating for damage in the left hemisphere. While many savants struggle with language and comprehension - skills associated primarily with the left hemisphere - they often have amazing skills in mathematics and memory - primarily right hemisphere skills. Daniel began to respond emotionally to numbers, which he started to see as complex, beautiful shapes and textures.
- Offshoring: 25 most dangerous cities for Outsourcing in 2010 » The Outsource Blog
- Joanne Merriam › The brain’s right hemisphere, for example, “talks” under certain circumstances to the left hemisphere. That can feel like an alien voice, or that something new is happening in the mind that is coming from somewher
- Are you left-brained or right-brained? : : Daily Cup of Apps
- Daniel Tammet demostrates amazing ability on ABC 20/20 SuperHumans! | US Post Today.
- Origins of the Left & Right Brain | Uncommon Descent